Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Tropical Hawaiian Portobello Burgers

Last week I came home from work set to marinate some portobello mushrooms in olive oil and balsamic vinegar while I went tot the gym, grill them up when I returned, and enjoy some "burgers."  I was sadly disappointed when I poured my olive oil into my marinating dish- only to realize I was out of balsamic.

Crap.  What now?

So I opened up the fridge to see what I might possibly throw on these enormous mushrooms.  I saw my coveted bottle of ginger syrup (another story for another time- but I waited almost 3 months for it!).  I saw the soy sauce in the door of the refrigerator.  I had a can of pineapple in the cupboard.  Can you see where this is going?  I wasn't sure if these would be awesome or a disaster, but guess what- they were fantastic!!!

Burger Ingredients:
2 portobello mushrooms
2 Sandwich Rounds (the 80-100 calorie kind)
Spinach
Mayo (or other mayo-like spread)
Pineapple rings *optional
Garlic ginger wonton strips *optional.  feel free to sub something else if you can't find these.  Crispy onions straws would be super yummy as a sub!

Marinade:
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/2 tbsp ginger syrup *this may not be something widely available, feel free to use fresh ginger or ginger paste.  Adjust amount as needed
1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce

1. De-gill mushrooms.  Sometimes I leave the gills if I'm feeling lazy, but I do prefer them without.



2. Mix the marinade ingredients in a shallow dish. Place mushrooms in mixture, cap side down.  With a basting brush, spread some of the marinade atop the previously gilled side.  Because this side is concave, simply flipping the mushrooms won't get all that yummy marinate on it.  Swirl the mushrooms around to get good marinade coverage.  Place dish in the refrigerator and let marinate for at least 15 min- I let mine sit for about an hour.   



3. After these have marinated for a bit, its time to grill!  Spray your grill pan with some olive oil cooking spray so they don't stick.  Transfer mushrooms to your grill pan and grill on medium.  I cooked mine about 4 minutes on each side, flipping a couple times.



4. When finished, transfer to a plate and let sit for a couple min.  If you want grilled pineapple rings, now is the perfect time to grill those up.  

5.  Assemble!  I put a bed a spinach on the bottom of my sandwich round, followed by the oh-so-delicious-looking mushroom, topped with some garlic ginger wonton crisps, and then the top of my sandwich round with just a tiny bit of mayo.





Doesn't that look good??  Who needs meat when we have this alternative?

Recipe Stats (per serving*):
Serves: 2
Calories-258
Carbs-41
Fat-8
Protein- 10
Sodium-529
Sugar-13
*does not include mayo


No comments:

Post a Comment