Thursday, September 12, 2013

Run.

In the initial post for this blog one of my goals was to run.  I don't really know what that means.  I'd love to say that I have several set goals and checkpoints to get to.  I don't.  I've run several 5k's and 10k's.  I ran a half-marathon in 2011.  Loved it.  No, seriously.  I loved it.  Then I got lazy.  I had this idea in the back of my mind about a year ago.  I wanted to run a marathon on my 26th birthday (a marathon is 26.2 miles.)  Get it?  26 miles on my 26th birthday?  Would have been pretty cool, huh?  Well, it wasn't- cuz it didn't happen.  So now we're about 6 months past that, and I still have a twinge in my soul that I'd like to train for something again.  I work SO much better when I have an end goal to work towards.  I am due to turn 27 (eek!) at the end of March 2014.  So, technically, I have several months to still bust out 26 miles during my 26th year... that still works, right??

I can honestly remember at the finish of my half marathon I was super tired, but still felt decently ok.  However, the idea of having double what I had just completed seemed like the worst idea ever.

So... maybe I'll focus on completing 2 half-marathons--- 13+13=26.  So that still works.

All that to say, I've started running again, and, again am in love with it.  Although this time its a two-fold type of love.  First, I love running simply because its fantastic and give me an incredible energy.  This time, however, its helping me feel better physically.  For several weeks now I've been having back spasms.  Its gotten to a point where I can barely sit for 10 min without pain, so I'm constantly shifting positions or standing up (which is super awesome when you're conducting a meeting- not distracting at all!)  Its been fun trying to figure out how many different ways to sit to alleviate discomfort.  Currently, I've ditched my work chair and am sitting sideways in a random chair that has no wheels, with my leg hanging over the side.  I look awesome.  And professional.  BUT- there are 2 states I've found where I feel no discomfort at all!  The first is laying on ice with my legs elevated slightly.  The second- while I'm running!  I don't know if its the warmth of my muscles or just the movement itself- but it feels good!    

So, as kind of a motivator to keep going and not get lazy, I've signed up for a "Turkey Trot" 5K on Thanksgiving weekend and a "Make Room for Santa" 10K in mid-December.  Love themed races!

All for now -

No comments:

Post a Comment