Monday, September 9, 2013

Growing Up

For those of you who are 20-somethings like I am, and for those of you who've passed your 20-somethings- have you ever wondered why certain people think time stands still and you never progress past a certain point in life?  

Case in point:  I attend a church I've been going to regularly for well over 10 years.  I've been involved in many different ministries but my favorite is singing in the choir.  Unfortunately in the minds of all those sweet little old ladies that sing along side me, I am, and will forever be, about 17 years old.  

The series of questions I frequently get fall along these lines: Are you finished with school (high school) yet?  Where do you think you'd like to go to college?  Are you working part time while in school?  Any idea what you want to major in?  Are you still babysitting? 

Ummm.  What?  Hello...!  Its so hard for me to bite my tongue and find a tactful way to saying "You morons!  Just because time is but a drop in the bucket for you, at your age, doesn't mean people don't get older!  I'm getting my Master's degree in 4 months for goodness sakes!  Yes, I went to school.  Yes, I have a job.  Yes, it has benefits.  Yes, I work at a university - and- no, I'm not a "secretary" (though I give props to all of you who are secretaries- and- I'm pretty sure they're called Administrative Assistants now)  I actually work in IT- what?  Oh yea, I never thought I would be in the field either..."  

It's fine, I realize that for the elderly population in the world, people who are considerable younger then them will always be considerably younger and with that, the details seem to blur.  

Coolest thing of the weekend: My mom's new music stand.  Sounds super cool, huh?  Wait- it gets better.  She's been looking for one to hold her music whilst she plays her new harp.  So she found one on Craigslist (scary) that said it was all wood.  Cool.  She she hurried on down to Beverly Hills to this little old Jewish man's house to see what he had.  Turns out, it is solid mahogany, purchased from a castle in London in the 50's, manufactured circa 1885.  Its pretty awesome.  It has a candle holder that hinges out so the user can read their music in the dark.  Because, of course, you couldn't just flip a switch and light your whole house back then.  Oh yea, did I mention it cost $80?  #AwesomeFind!  

New Subject!  I've never been a gamer.  Like, at all.  I've toyed with Mafia Wars and Farmville on Facebook a bit, but it quickly bored me.  However, now the game has changed.  One word: MyVegas (yes, its one word).  Its essentially a free slot game that you play and earn Loyalty Points while playing.  The Loyalty Points can then be turned in for actually Vegas prizes like buffet passes, shows, drinks, and even hotels.  Did they say free hotels?  Oh yea.  I'm totally there.  I've been playing it about 2 weeks now and I might be just slightest bit addicted.  I have almost 30,000 Loyalty Points.  Of course you need about 300,000 to get a nice weekend room at the Aria- but hey!  I'd take a cheaper room @ New York New York if its free :)  I'll report back when I've earned enough for something legit.  But, I think I've spent more time on Facebook in the last 2 weeks then I have in the 6 months prior.  

Oh yea, and in all that time on Facebook... this happened.

  
"Celery- Nature's Toothbrush for your Colon!"  (it actually says "ribbed for your pleasure!")


Uhhh.  What?  Ew.  


All for now- love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment