Thursday, August 29, 2013

Guiltless "Bacon" Mac

So, I purchased a big box of Miracle Noodles through Groupon a few months ago.  They've been sitting in a box, on a cart, in my kitchen since I received them.  Unfortunately, I also tend to throw a package or 2 of Shirataki noodles in my cart whenever I go to Sprouts.  So, needless to say, I have a surplus of these bad boys- and I need to start experimenting with them.

Shirataki noodles are Japanese noodles made from yam root.  They are very low calorie/carb and are actually quite filling.  The traditional kind have a slightly strange texture- they won't hold up in, say, a red sauce pasta dish.  But they are a really great substitute in any Asian style dish.  House Foods brand mixes a bit of tofu with the yam root- which makes for a more traditional pasta-like texture.

Now, I am a cheese lover.  Probably one of the main reasons I will never be able to convert to vegan-ism.  That, and I can not give up my Greek yogurt.  Can't do it.  I found this recipe for "Guilt-Free Mac and Cheese."  I made a few adjustments for flavoring, and it actually turned out really good.

Recipe adapted from original, posted by Electra at VanillaBeanLean

Ingredients:
2 packages of Shirataki Noodles (I like House Foods brand, mixed with tofu- I prefer their consistency)
4 oz. reduced-fat cheese of choice (I used Lifetime Fat Free Cheddar Cheese)
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
Non-stick cooking spray
2 pieces of bacon- regular or fake (I use Morning Star- LOVE these!)
Nutritional Yeast* (optional)
Sea salt
Black pepper

1. Dump your Shirataki Noodles in a strainer and rinse well with cold water- at least a couple min.  These might smell a little bit fishy from sitting in liquid.  They don't taste fishy- I promise!  Spray a microwave-safe bowl with non-stick spray.  After rinsing, put all the noodles in the bowl, and spray them with non-stick spray.  Stir the noodles to coat.



2. Microwave your noodles for 1-2 minutes

3. Meanwhile, grate 4 oz of your cheese.  Once the noodles are finished in the microwave, mix the noodles with the cheese, mustard, salt, and pepper. (couldn't find my grater, so I just chopped it thinly)



4. Microwave for 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, or so.

5. Once finished melting, top with extra black pepper, sea salt, and nutritional yeast to taste

6. Finally, crumble up some of your favorite bacon and enjoy!




Recipe Stats (per serving):
Serves: 2
Calories- 196
Carbs- 9
Fat- 5
Protein- 22
Sodium- 657
Sugar- 2

*Nutritional yeast is completely optional.  This might not be a product you can easily find, depending on where you live.  I get mine at Sprouts- most health food stores carry it, but I haven't had much luck finding it in a regular grocery store.  Despite the name, nutritional yeast is not like baking yeast at all.  It is deactivated yeast.  "Nooch" is a complete protein and a great source of B12.  I love it because it adds a cheesy, creamy, nutty flavor to dishes.  I love to sprinkle it on popcorn or on pizza if I don't have an Parmesan on hand!*

No comments:

Post a Comment